Our Beautiful Brittany

Friday, April 17, 2009

Great Sadness

It is with great sadness that I write this post. I have been having to get up the courage to type. When I left Duke on Tuesday afternoon, Brit wasn't doing so well. Her CO2 levels were climbing and she was on a lot of assist from the ventilator. The doctors were trying to get her levels to come down, but things were not looking good.

Things had seemed so hopeful on Sunday. We had such a great time and she was excited to be moving down to the step down floor, but I guess her body had different thoughts. It has been working so hard and I think the time has come that it has just given up, even though Brit's mind hasn't.

The team called Brad and asked him to come back out to Duke. They were sorry to say that they weren't going to be able to proceed with the transplant. Her body just wouldn't take the surgery and as we all know, lungs are precious.

Brit's parents have a very painful decision to make and I don't think it is without great thought that they have decided to make Brittany as comfortable as possible and have taken her off all the other multitudes of medications she was on.

My thoughts and prayers are with the entire family and I wish them all the comfort in knowing we all care about them and Brittany. Rest easy, as I know this is the toughest decision you will ever make. Love Always and Forever

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with Brittany and your entire family. Peace be with all of you.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with your family and Brittney! Your courage and strength will guide you!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

We wish with all our hearts for comfort for Brittany and strength for her family.
Love, Pete & Kathy

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you now, as they have always been. We offer our shoulder to lean on, and hope that Brad and family will find the Peace and Comfort that Brittany now has.
Love the Pitzinger's